If you have a flat tire on your car, do you know how to change it? Believe it or not, some people do not know how to do this. Have you ever been stuck on the side of the road because of a flat tire? If you have then you might of learned how to in a very short time, especially in the cold or winter months. In case you don’t know how to change a tire, here is what you do so you can be on your way.
9 Steps To Change A Tire
- Make sure you park the vehicle on the smoothest surface with no hills and out of the way of anything that might be coming down the road. Make sure you are on the side of the road before you start to change your tire. Level ground is the best. Now all you have to do is to put the vehicle in park so the car doesn’t roll.
- Shut the engine off and turn your hazard signals on to indicate your car is indisposed at the moment.
- Place something behind a tire of the vehicle so the car doesn’t roll back off of the jack.
- If you have hubcaps on your car, remove the cap on the flat tire. Loosen the lug nuts to the point where you can spin them freely. You don’t what to take them all of the way off otherwise the car will fall and you will have nothing holding the car up in the air. Do this to all of the lug nuts but don’t take them all of the way off.
- Now you can jack up the car carefully. Make sure the jack is flat on the ground and not tipping in any direction.
- Once the flat tire is off of the ground, take the lug nuts the rest of the way off of the hub and remove the flat tire.
- Put your spare tire on the car and put the lug nuts on one at a time. Tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern to apply even pressure to the rim as it goes on the hub.
- Slowly let the jack down and check the lug nuts again once the vehicle is on the ground to see if you can tighten them any more.
- Put the hubcap back on the rim and put away your spare tire and jack. Now you are done and can continue driving to where you need to go.
If these steps sound too hard, you should hire a car mechanic to change your tire. Even though there are car mechanics everywhere, I still recommend you learn to change the tires by yourself, because its a thing you need to know to do in emergencies.
How To Prevent Flat Tires
If you buy cheap tires, you will think that you saved a bit of money, but in the long run, they are going to cost you a lot. That’s why, when you buy a new set of tires for your car, i recommend you get a set that is durable and can last you for a few seasons. One of my favorites are the high-performance Firehawk Indy 500 tires. They are great in my opinion, and i haven’t ran into any problems ever since i got them.